From the Chopping Block: Vegan from Scratch
The decision to adopt a vegan lifestyle is not one most people take lightly. Whether you are
considering going vegan or are already eating that way, it’s important to understand the diet and what you need to do to be healthy. The Chopping Block recently published a recipe collection and guide to veganism called Vegan from Scratch.
This free download contains basic facts about veganism, provides information on how you can make sure to get the nutrients your body needs, tips for creating plant-based meals including substitutions for eggs and dairy, as well as guidance for eating out. Whether you are a strict vegan or just interested in learning how to incorporate more whole foods into your life, this guide will help you cook better food.
A lot of people think a vegan diet is limiting. However, there are more vegan products available now than ever before. There are also lots of foods you can “veganize” at home yourself such as heavy cream and even condensed milk.
Here are some tips to keep you inspired to make delicious vegan food at home.
- Eat more of the plant-based foods that you already eat. Start by eating more of the vegan foods you love such as fruits, vegetables and beans. Substitute plant protein for meat protein in recipes you already love. Try adding beans or choose from a plethora of “fake meats” such as tofu, tempeh, or seitan that mock the taste and texture of chicken, beef or pork.
- Get a new cookbook or search the Internet for inspiration. There’s no better way to control what food you eat than to prepare it at home yourself!
Explore new stores for new ingredients to try and become familiar with the bulk grains section of your grocery store.
- Batch and stash. Prepare a big batch of staple ingredients once a week – lentils, whole grains or veggies – then incorporate them into various dishes during the week.
- Stock your kitchen. Fill your fridge and pantry with healthy plant-based whole foods you actually want to eat. Foods like hummus and other non-dairy dips with baby carrots, lightly steamed cauliflower and broccoli, and apple slices make snacking easy and healthy.
- Rethink your meal composition. Instead of the traditional way of planning a meal around meat, build your meal around vegetables, especially leafy greens, which are the basis of a healthy diet.
The Chopping Block’s guide contains 16 vegan recipes for you to try, including this delicious Mushroom and Swiss Chard Quiche. We promise you won’t miss the meat in any of these dishes! Click here to get Vegan from Scratch.